A weekly podcast with the latest e-commerce news and events. Episode 61 is a recap of the Cyber 5 (Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday) holiday period for 2016.
- Thanksgiving generated $1.93 billion in e-commerce sales (Adobe)
- Thanksgiving e-commerce sales from Desktop was up 17% (Comscore)
- Macys was open on Thanksgiving, and had 16,000 people waiting to get in to it’s flagship Harrod Square store
- Target & Kohls set e-commerce sales records for Thanksgiving day
- BestBuy experienced stability problems with it’s website and had to throttle traffic
- Black Friday generated $3.34 billion in e-commerce sales , 21.6% YoY Growth (Adobe)
- Black Friday generated $1.2B billion in mobile e-commerce sales, first $1B mobile day ever (Adobe)
- Mobile was 36% of sales (33% y/y growth) and 55% of traffic (Adobe), Mobile conversion 2.4% vs Desktop 5.5%
- 70% of Walmart traffic was mobile, 60% of Targets revenue came from mobile.
- Black Friday e-commerce sales from Desktop was up 19% (Comscore)
- Store traffic was down
- Is Black Friday even relevant anymore?
- Black Friday shoppers trash Nike Outlet
- Cyber Monday set the all time US record for e-commerce sales at $3.45 billion , 12.1% YoY Growth (Adobe)
Mobile 56% visits / 37% sales. Mobile Conversion 1.9% vs Desktop Conversion 4.3% (Adobe)
Macy’s had a significant site outage for 8 hours. William Sonoma, Victoria’s Secret, Express, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Pier 1 also had interruptions.
Black Friday has become a major online shopping day (only $110M smaller than Cyber Monday) and growing much faster (likely to pass Cyber Monday next year). Black Friday is the busiest Mobile shopping day of the year. Cyber Monday set the all time US record for e-commerce sales. Mobile traffic is over 50% over the holiday but mobile conversion is close to half of desktop conversion, but the conversion gap is narrowing. Store Traffic is down which likely means a mediocre overall holiday.
Don’t forget to like our facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on itunes.
Episode 61 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Thursday November 28, 2016.