A weekly podcast with the latest e-commerce news and events. Episode 18 includes Target “Goldfish” rumors, Instacart changes, and Amazon news & peeves
- This week is the 10th anniversary of AWS. Stratechery has a great piece about how Amazon leverages AWS with it’s novel strategy for scale
- Journalists touring Amazon Fulfillment centers, noticed that Amazon uses video shaming to discourage theft. You can take your own tour of an Amazon FC by signing up here.
- Dropbox announced that they are (mostly) moving off of AWS and developing their own storage.
- Walmart has released OneOps, their platform for deploying cloud based infrastructure apps, such as Walmarts own e-commerce platform. Apps can be agnostically deployed across Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, Rackspace, and OpenStack.
- Amazon has VR guru Avi Bar-Zeev, and filed for a patent on room based headset-less VR. Amazon also filed for a patent around using selfies for payment.
- Amazon private label suits have been favorably reviewed by business insider.:
Jason & Scot discuss our Amazon peeves:
- Prime now not well integrated website
- Amazon Echo App Store (Skills) is just a 37 page list of apps.
- Delivery drivers, pantry GUI, and customer service edge cases could all use improvement.
- Ultra announced surprisingly strong earnings, and plans to open 100 new stores, and dramatically expand brand boutiques.
- US Dept of Commerce released it’s February retail sales data.
- Brands are now paying instacart for deliveries.
Target project “goldfish”
Target is running ads for engineers for a mysterious new project, codenamed “Goldfish”. The job listings specify “You must have a deep understanding of the fundamentals of retail marketplaces, social commerce and influencer networks,” which caused Jason & Scot to speculate about what the project might be.
Scot is in Florida this week for the Bronto conference, giving a talk on “E-Commerce and the On-Demand Economy“
Episode 18 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Tuesday, March 15th, 2016.
[…] Prime Now is coming to Web – Something we suggested should happen in Episode 18. […]