A weekly podcast with the latest e-commerce news and events. Episode 22 covers the Facebook F8, Channel Advisor Catalyst, and Magento Imagine conferences, as well as e-commerce news and the Amazon Echo Dot review.
- Announced the messenger bot platform, included several early e-commerce examples. Most reviews of the early shopping bot experiences were poor, but Jason remains optimistic about the platform. Danny Sullivan sends Mark Zuckerberg flowers via Chatbot.
- Open-source 360 VR camera
- VR selfie-stick social VR
- Launched ChannelAdvisor Product Intelligence for Brands which gives brands actionable insights about online assortment, merchandising and pricing across multiple online channels to ensure a consistent customer experience.
- Expanded Where to Buy product to include new Buy Local functionality for brands allows consumers to find your products on retailer websites and nearby stores.
- ChannelAdvisor CEO, David Spitz, predicted that “Amazon GMV will surpass Walmart’s GMV (w/o grocery) this year.”
- eBay’s Hal Lawton announced that eBay is returning to TV advertising which will be based on seasonal marketing campaigns.
- Googles Vineet Buch announced that “Purchase on Google” (Googles BUY button) is current deployed with 25 merchants, and that is likely to grow throughout the year, and open to all retailers by the end of 2016.
- Walmart partners with ChannelAdvisor to enhance it’s marketplace.
- Magento enterprise cloud edition – running on AWS
- 2.0 app store – Magento Marketplace
- committed to quarterly releases
- SpaceX falcon lands on drone ship
- Scot reviews the Echo Dot and likes it
- Poshmark raised $25m
- Alibaba investment in Lazada to enter South Asia
- Gene Munster – Piper Jaffray – Amazon survey showed that 70% of high income ($120k+) households are Prime subs
- Victoria’s secret cancels catalog
- Amazon focus on grocery they may become a top 10 grocer by 2019Staples to turn stores into co-working space w/ Workbar
- Bestbuy testing deliv for same day delivery
- Alphabet/google earnings – April 21
- eBay earnings – April 26
- Amazon earnings – April 28
- Shoptalk May 15-18
- Google I/O – May 18
Episode 22 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Thursday, April 14th, 2016.
[Fixed Typo on Lazada on 4/18]