A weekly podcast with the latest e-commerce news and events. Episode 33 features a deep dive into the On Demand Economy.
What is the on demand economy (ODE)?
Consumer behavior that is driving the adoption of on-demand economy
- Bifurcation of Value vs Convenience
- Zero friction
- ODE TAM
- How big today
- Sample co’s
- Business models
- Referral – thumbtack
- Owned and operated
ODE meets retail – where and why do they intersect
- Uber Rush
- Google Express
- Blue Apron (ingredients)
- Food delivery
- Uber Eats
- Products that rely on services
- Michelin Onsite
- Ecommerce/Retail + ODE Examples
- Target – Instacart (but stopped curbside
- 1hr delivery in metros:
- Etsy ASAP
Takeaways for retailers
- Watch closely and don’t be blindsided
- Test partnerships – 1hr delivery good example
- If you have a product that naturally requires a service, self-disrupt
- ODE will change consumer expectations and ‘feedback’ into retail
Don’t forget to like our facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on itunes.
Episode 33 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Wednesday, June 22, 2016.
Leave a Reply